Once an award-winning recipe, this no-bake pie has an incredible light and fluffy texture-but we wanted to amplify the chocolate flavor.
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and softened
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked and cooled (see note)
- Whip cream: With electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip cream to stiff peaks, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer whipped cream to small bowl and refrigerate.
- Beat eggs: Combine eggs, sugar, and water in large heatproof bowl set over medium saucepan filled with ½ inch barely simmering water (don’t let bowl touch water). With electric mixer on medium speed, beat until egg mixture is thickened and registers 160 degrees, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and continue to beat egg mixture until fluffy and cooled to room temperature, about 8 minutes.
- Beat, fold, cool: Add chocolate and vanilla to cool egg mixture and beat until incorporated. Beat in butter, a few pieces at a time, until well combined. Using spatula, fold in whipped cream until no streaks of white remain. Scrape filling into pie shell and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours. Serve.
- You will need a fully baked pie shell for this recipe. Use your favorite pie dough or use our No-Fear Pie Crust recipe (related). Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.