These are brownie-like and chewy. Be careful not to overbake them, they may seem like they aren't done after 10 minutes but they are!
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon flax seed, plus
- 1 teaspoon flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups semisweet vegan chocolate chips (obviously, vegan chocolate chips if you want these to be vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grind flax seeds in a blender until they become a fine powder, then add the soy milk and blend for about 30 seconds more and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cream the sugar and oil in a separate large bowl.
- Add the flax/soy milk mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients (the original recipe does not call for a mixer, but you may want to use yours.).
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and flatten into disks about 1 1/2" in diameter.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 1" apart and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let rest on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then remove with a spatula to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- **For chocolate chocolate chip cherry cookies, replace 1 teaspoon of the vanilla with almond extract, and use 3/4 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 cup chopped cherries.
- ***For chocolate nut cookies, replace 1 teaspoon of the vanilla with a nut extract (almond, walnut, etc) and replace the chocolate chips with 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts of your choice.